Chủ Nhật, 29 tháng 7, 2012

Folding Pallet Chair


IMG_7071.JPG
IMG_7075.JPGIMG_7113.JPG
This is a chair born out of necessity. Well, not really. It just sounded cool. It is quite comfortable though. In fact, I am sitting in it now. But I digress. I got all of the wood I used from the Sears store in my city. So the only things I bought were the two bolts and nuts. Overall, this project cost me 20 cents. Not bad.. It folds too for easy storage. 

Step 1Materials & Tools

IMG_7076.JPG
IMG_7077.JPG
IMG_7078.JPGIMG_7079.JPG
You will need:
2-3"x.25 bolts
2-.25" Nuts
4-40" 1x1.75 Boards
2-78" .75x3.5 Boards

I know these are strange messurements, but I did get these boards from pallets. You can use many different sized boards but these worked well for me.

Tools:
Chop saw
Straight edge
Tape Measure
Finishing Nails
Wood Glue
Drill
1/4" bit
1/16" bit

Step 2Cut the Supports

IMG_7080.JPG
Cut two of the 40" boards down to 32"

Step 3Mark the Angles

IMG_7081.JPG
IMG_7082.JPG
IMG_7083.JPGIMG_7084.JPG
Lay out your your boards to the angle that you will want your chair to be at. Mark the angle; you will need it later. Lay a board across the bottom. This will help the find the angle that your chair will set  at.

MAKE SURE THE 40" ONE IS ON THE OUTSIDE OF EACH SIDE!

Step 4Cut the Foot Angles

One of the feet happend to be 45 degrees, which was nice. The other one was tricky because the angle was greater than the saw could do. So I propped it up with a two by four and braced it with a wedge of wood and pushed on the propped up part. Next lay the  newly cut  wood up against another board to make sure the angles match up.

Step 5

IMG_7095.JPG
IMG_7096.JPG
Mark the center by connecting the corners of the x. Drill a 1/4 hole at the mark. Countersink so the bolt is flush..

Step 6The Back

IMG_7097.JPG
IMG_7098.JPGIMG_7099.JPG
IMG_7100.JPGIMG_7101.JPG
Cut 18" slats out of the remailning boards. Check by standing up the boards where they will go on the BACKSIDE of the back. If it is not on the back, it will not fold properly. Be sure to mark their locations, because it will make the next step easier.

The bottom slat determines the angle of your seat, so be sure it is in  the right spot!!

Step 7Glueing (Gluing?)(Glooing?) and Nailing

IMG_7102.JPG
IMG_7103.JPGIMG_7104.JPG
Line up the back-boards with their marks. Drill two 1/16" holes per side per board. Add wood glue and hammer in finishing nails.

Step 8The Buttrest

Or the seat. Which ever you prefer. You will want to subtract the width of your side supports (mine were 1") times 2 from 18" and cut that many inches out. For example since my side supports were 1" wide each, I made my seat-boards 16" long. Repeat the attaching process from the last step. I added another nail in though.  Put the bolts in when you are finished that.

Step 9Sand Like you Have Never Sanded Before!

Since this is recycled wood, it will be in pretty rough shape. To combat that, I sanded the mess out of my seat. I used a dremel multimax with the sanding attachment. You could use regular sandpaper, but that would take ages. I like to leave a little bit of the stamps and such because it gives it a cool look. Especially for my "man cave."

Step 10Sit Back and Enjoy!

IMG_7113.JPG
Now you can finally sit back and appreciate your fine work. Adding pads for outdoor chairs increases the comfort by the way. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Đăng nhận xét

Ping my blog